What are Fire Crackers?
Fire Crackers are a super simple recipe that make an addictive snack or appetizer and are a fun way to spice up (literally) some plain saltines! Follow along as I show step by step how to make this recipe, which I quartered.
How to Make Fire Crackers:
1. Measure out a quarter cup of oil. I use olive oil. I had this evoo on hand.
2. Add 1/4 ounce of Ranch Dressing Mix. I had a Tuscan Valley Ranch Mix from Aldi via Instacart.
3. Next add 1/2 Tablespoon of crushed red pepper flakes and 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder.
4. Whisk it up with your baby whisk!
5. Next take a sleeve of saltines and stand them up in an airtight container. I had a leftover Thai Takeout container. Then drizzle the olive oil spice mix over all the crackers.
6. Put the lid on securely and turn the container upside down. Gently shake it side to side and flip it back and forth every 5 minutes or so over 20 minutes, just to try to get the crackers evenly coated.
7. One commenter suggested baking the crackers in an oven at 250 degrees F for 10-20 minutes (flipping once) to seal in flavor and help them last longer. So I gave that a go!
Here is the delicious end result:
As Seen In This Post:
Uglies Kettle Chips, Salt & Vinegar, 6 ounces, $1.99 via misfits market
Ranking: 4/4 - love it!
Crunchy, tangy, salty... everything you want in a salt & vinegar chip!
1 - will not rebuy
2 - it's okay, probably won't rebuy
3 - it's good, would rebuy from time to time
4 - love it!
Uglies Kettle Chips Review
Partake Gluten Free Crunchy Double Chocolate Cookies, 5.5 oz - $3.99 via misfits market
Partake Gluten Free Crunchy Double Chocolate Cookies Review Misfits Market Review and Discount
Partake Gluten Free Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies Review Misfits Market Review
Partake Gluten Free Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies, 5.5 oz - $3.99 via misfits market
The soft baked gluten free chocolate chip cookies from partake weren't especially soft imo, but they were a tasty little allergen-free snack with an afternoon coffee or tea!
Terra Original Taro Vegetable Chips, 6 oz - $2.49 via misfits market
If you're looking for a potato chip alternative taro chips could be fun to try.
Tip: Chomp carefully as these tend to be a little harder than your average potato chip.
Terra Taro Vegetable Chips with Sea Salt review
Aldi Simply Nature Barbecue Quinoa Chips Review
Apple Cinnamon Muffins - Add A Pinch Recipe Review
Apple cinnamon muffins are delicious any time of year, but there's something about fall when the air is crisp, the apples are plentiful, and the smell of cinnamon warms your heart that makes it the perfect time to eat cinnamon apple muffins!
How To Make Cinnamon Apple Muffins:
The answer is yes! If you don't want to go through the effort of making your own puff pastry, you can definitely take the short cut and use frozen puff pastry. I used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and it worked like a dream. In the future, I would like to do it 100% from scratch, but it's nice to lower the barrier of entry. ANYONE can make this!
How To Make Pastéis de Nata Custard Step-by-step
- Whisk 3 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup of milk until smooth
- Bring 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, and 2/3 cup of water to boil. Do not stir this, but let it boil until 220F or 100C
- Scald 1 cup of milk (237ml) in a separate small sauce pan. Whisk scalded milk into the milk/flour mixture.
- Take the cinnamon stick out from the syrup and pour it into the milk/flour mixture, whisking the whole time. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Whisk the yolks from 6 large eggs in a bowl. Then whisk them into the milk/flour/syrup mixture.
- Strain this thin mixture into a bowl.
How long will Pastéis de Nata uncooked custard mixture last?
At what temperature does milk scald? Why do you scald milk
Tips for using Frozen Puff Pastry to Make Pastéis de Nata
How long does it take for frozen puff pastry to defrost/thaw from frozen?
In general, thaw at room temperature for 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
It's important to let the pastry thaw or else you will break it when you try unroll it from the package.
Once the pastry is thawed, you are going to lay it flat on your work space (I used this large cutting board) and then roll it tightly into a log. Wrap it in plastic and refrigerate until you are ready to assembly your Portuguese custard tarts!
See this CupcakeJemma video below for the technique:
Assembling Pastéis de Nata
When do you eat a Pastel de Nata?
Should you eat Portuguese custard tarts hot or cold?
There's no wrong way! Some people love them warm, others like the texture of the custard better when it is at room temperature. Still others like them cold! The only way to decide is to try them all three ways, don't you agree? ;-)
Do Pastéis de Nata need refrigerated?
In most instances, there won't be any left over since they are so tasty! But on the off chance that you do have left overs it is recommended that you store them in the fridge.
How do you reheat Pasteis de Nata?
Reheating a pastry like this is best done in an oven or toaster oven over a microwave, for sure. 350F around 7 minutes should do the job!
How long do Pasteis de Natas last?
In an airtight box they may last up to 2 days. If refrigerated around 5 days. But seriously, just eat them today. :)
Is there lemon in Pastéis de Nata?
Tools That Make It Easier To Make Pastéis de Nata at Home:
For That Friend Who is Obsessed With Pastéis de Nata:
Pin & Share This Post:
We're Justin & Marissa
We love to travel & eat!
We created this space for all of us to share travel adventures through food together! If you want to get involved - we'd love for you to share a recipe!
Algarve Restaurant Reviews
Inspired By Travel
Pizza In Portugal
Plate Of The Day
Take Out Delivery Review
Tools & Gadgets
Vilamoura Restaurant Reviews